The Best Cinnamon Buns Recipe
I really don't have to do much of a sell job on these, but here are the adjectives that best describe these fluffy, gooey, rich, warm, blissful, sweet pastries swirled with buttery, cinnamon-brown sugar and smothered with a cream cheese frosting: amazascrumptabulous. If that doesn't sell these to you, the intoxicating aroma of these finger lickin' rolls of kryptonite will certainly seal the deal.
Bite Me Bit
"I really don't think I need buns of steel. I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon." - Ellen DeGeneres
1 cup whole milk, warmed
½ tsp sugar
1 (¼oz) package active dry yeast
½ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
4 cups flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup butter, softened, cut into pieces
Extra flour for dusting
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, melted
Cream Cheese Glaze
½ cup cream cheese, softened
½ cup butter, softened
1¾ cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) For the dough, in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine warm milk and ½ tsp sugar. Sprinkle in yeast and let sit 10 minutes, until foamy.
2) Using the dough hook, add ½ cup sugar, vanilla and eggs on low speed. Add flour and salt on low speed. Once incorporated, turn mixer to medium-high, allowing it to knead dough for 4 minutes. Add butter and continue on medium-high speed for 6 minutes, until dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. With floured hands, remove dough from mixer and roll into a large ball. Place it in a large bowl that has been coated with non-stick cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
3) Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a ¼-inch thick rectangle that measures 16x21 inches.
4) For the filling, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Brush the melted butter on the surface of the dough leaving a ½-inch border around the edges. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over melted butter. Roll the dough into a fairly tight cylinder and press along the edges to seal. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Place on prepared baking sheets, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
5) Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake buns 10 minutes or until golden.
6) For the glaze, in an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until well blended. On lwo speed, add icing sugar and vanilla. Once combined, raise speed to medium and mix well. Spread on warm cinnamon buns.
Yield: 12 cinnamon buns