Ginger Cookie Sandwiches with Lemon Filling
Soft and spicy ginger cookies sandwiching a sweet and tart lemon cream filling. With blackstrap molasses bringing deep color and flavor to these classic cookies and zesty lemon that makes us suckers for the pucker, this is one delectable dessert.
¾ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp blackstrap molasses
2½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 tbsp sugar, for rolling cookie dough
½ cup butter, room temperature
2½ cups icing sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until well incorporated. Add molasses and mix on low speed until combined. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt, mixing on low speed just until combined.
2) Take 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Place 3 tablespoons of sugar on a flat plate and roll dough ball into the sugar. Place ball on prepared baking sheet and continue with remaining dough. Cover both baking sheets and refrigerate for 1 hour before baking.
3) Preheat Oven to 350°F. Remove baking sheets from refrigerator and using the bottom of a glass, flatten each dough ball slightly. Bake cookies 8–10 minutes, until golden around the edges. Let cookies cool completely before filling.
4) For the filling, using an electric mixer, cream butter, icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest on medium speed until a spreadable consistency.
5) To assemble cookie sandwiches, using a small spoon, place filling in the center of a cookie bottom. Gently press another cookie bottom on top until filling spreads.
*Makes 12 cookie sandwiches