Decadent Chocolate Rice Krispie Crunch Cake Recipe
This decadent Chocolate Rice Krispie Crunch Cake recipe is a tri-layered fudgy chocolate cake that's filled with chocolate-coated rice krispies and slathered with creamy, smooth chocolate frosting.
Bite Me Bit
“Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain.”
Chocolate Cake Recipe
¾ cup semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup cocoa powder
1½ cups boiling water
2½ cups + 2 tbsp flour
3 cups sugar
3 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp kosher salt
1½ cups buttermilk
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
Milk Chocolate Rice Krispie Crunch
3 cups rice krispie cereal
2½ cups milk chocolate chips, melted
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
1 cup butter, softened
8 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
6 cups icing sugar
¾ cup whole milk
1) For the cake, preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat three 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper and lightly spray again. Dust the pans with flour, shaking out the excess.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together semi sweet chocolate, cocoa powder and boiling water whisk until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a third bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
3) Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Add the melted chocolate mixture and continue to whisk until all ingredients are well combined. Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cakes completely before frosting.
4) For the Rice Krispie Crunch, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine rice krispies and melted chocolate and fold together until cereal is completely coated. Evenly spread mixture onto the baking sheet and place in the freezer for 20 minutes. Remove and chop into small pieces. Can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
5) For the frosting, using an electric mixer, beat butter, melted chocolate, icing sugar and milk on low speed. Gradually increase speed to medium until frosting is fluffy.
6) To assemble the cake, place one 9-inch chocolate cake on a large plate, trim top to make it even and flat all over. Spread ¾ cup frosting on top and cover with 1 heaping cup of Krispie Crunch. Top with another 9-inch cake and repeat with frosting and crunch. Top with the final cake and frost. Cover the top of the cake with remaining crunch.
Dreaming of more decadent desserts? Try our
Layered Toffee Crunch Cake or our
Ultimate S'mores Layer Cake