Banana-Stuffed French Toast Soufflé
Vive le French toast! Oui, I know that it's neither French nor toast but I wanted to make this battle cry in honor of my sister. No one amours French toast quite like Lisa, and when given carte blanche (by moi, of course), she took her favorite comfort food to new heights. Stuffed with caramelized bananas and toped with brown sugar streusel, this French toast bake hits all the right notes. Perfect for company because it's prepared in advance, this crowd pleaser has a golden crisp crust and sweet, soft banana center. French toast never tasted so delicieux. Encore! Encore!
Bite Me Bit
"She was so wild that when she made French toast she got her tongue caught in the toaster." - Rodney Dangerfield, comedian
1 (1lb) egg bread (challah)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter
2 tbsp corn syrup
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
6 bananas, ripe yet still firm, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
6 large eggs
2 ½ cups whole milk
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp kosher salt
½ cup quick cooking oats
½ cup flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
1) Coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Slice bread into ½-inch thick slices. Arrange half of the slices in prepared dish. The bread can can overlap a little.
2) For the caramelized bananas, in a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat. Cook and stir until butter is melted and brown sugar dissolved. Add cinnamon and sliced bananas cooking for 2 minutes. Evenly cover bread in baking dish with banana mixture. Top with remaining slices, squishing to fit them in.
3) For the batter, in a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour over bread, cover and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
4) When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F.
5) For the streusel topping, in a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and butter, mixing with a fork or fingers until crumbly. Set aside.
6) Place French toast in oven for 40 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake 20 minutes more or until golden and puffy. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.