Banoffee Pie with Crunchy Chocolate Topping
For those of you who aren't from the UK, yes, this perfect dessert recipe is "Banoffee Pie," a slurring of the words banana and toffee. As classically British as 007 and a stiff upper lip, banoffee is a sticky, seductive pie of creamy toffee and slices of sweet banana. Lisa, a longtime Spice Girls fan, wanted to do a little oomph to this already decadent dessert, so she crowned it with a crunchy top layer of graham crackers coated in milk chocolate and toffee bits.
Bite Me Bit
"You never know where to look when eating a banana."
-Peter Kay, comedian
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 (300ml/10.5oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
3 large bananas, ripe yet still firm
Chocolate Toffee Graham Topping
16 graham crackers
¼ cup butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
¾ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup SKOR or Heath Bar bits
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
2) For the crust, in a small bowl, combine graham crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Leave oven on at 350°F to bake chocolate graham topping.
3) For the filling, remove labels from cans of condensed milk. Place cans in a medium saucepan and submerge the unopened cans in water. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring water to a boil. Partially cover and boil 2½ hours, making sure to keep cans covered by water the entire time, adding more water as it evaporates. When done, remove cans from pot and cool 30 minutes before opening.
4) For the topping, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer, edges touching. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and brown sugar, stirring to combine. Once mixture comes to a boil, turn heat to low, stop stirring and let gently bubble for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour over graham crackers. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from over and sprinkle with chocolate chips. As they start to melt, gently spread over graham crackers and sprinkle evenly with toffee bits. Once cooled to room temperature, refrigerate 1-2 hours, until firm enough to break into 1-to 2-inch irregular shaped pieces.
5) To assemble pie, pour cooked condensed milk over prepared crust, spreading evenly. Allow to cool completely. Slice bananas over the filling. Top with chocolate toffee graham cracker pieces. Refrigerate. Serve chilled.