Baked Tortilla Chicken Recipe
Looking for a chicken recipe that'll turn your family dinner into a fiesta? You've found it. Not only is this Baked Tortilla Chicken delectably juicy, crusted in crunchy tortillas and cheesy cheddar, but it's also served with a creamy avocado dip full of Southwestern flavors. ¡Ay, caramba!
Bite Me Bit
"I'd like to play devil's avocado here, Larry. I think people should freak-the-geek out!"
– Tracy Morgan on 30 Rock
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1½ cups sour cream
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
2½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup (or ¼ cup depending how much spice you like) jarred jalapeno peppers, dried off and chopped
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) For the chicken, place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound to even thickness, about 1/2-inch thick.
2) In a large bowl, combine sour cream, brown sugar, chili powder, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add chicken and toss to coat, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3) Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
4) In a large bowl, combine panko, tortilla crumbs, cheddar and chopped jalapenos. Remove chicken from marinade and coat each piece with panko mixture, pressing down so coating sticks well to each piece. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake 20-23 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
5) For the avocado dip, place mayonnaise, sour cream, avocado, lime juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Serve alongside chicken but if you’re not eating it immediately, place avocado pit in the bowl to keep the dip from turning brown. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. This dip yields 2 cups.