Parmesan-Crusted Asparagus Recipe
How do you make your family beg for veggies? Simply bake up these Parmesan-Crusted Asparagus, green stalks coated in a cheesy breadcrumb mixture and baked to a golden crisp. These addictive spears aren't only a family favorite, they're also the perfect company-is-coming side dish that can be assembled in advance and popped in the oven 15 minutes before dinnertime.
Bite Me Bit
"Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?"
-Curly, The Three Stooges
¾ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp kosher salt
1½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 large bunches of asparagus
2 tbsp olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and salt.
3) On a large plate, combine panko and Parmesan.
4) Stalk by stalk, dip asparagus in mayonnaise mixture, followed by the panko mixture. Place crusted asparagus on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle the stalks with olive oil.
5) At this point you can place the tray in the refrigerator for a few hours before baking. To cook, bake 14-16 minutes, turning the asparagus halfway through cooking. Sprinkle with coarse salt before serving.