Greek Mac & Cheese
A cheesy staple at your table, this Greek Mac & Cheese topped with a Feta crumble, will be sure to pull you in for seconds!
Bite Me Bit
"I love macaroni and cheese. I could eat it every meal of the day."
10 oz fresh baby spinach
¼ cup butter
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ cup flour
4 cups whole milk
3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb elbow pasta
1½ cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tbsp melted butter
¾ cup crumbled Feta cheese
Pinch kosher salt
1) Preheat oven to 375ºF. Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish and set aside.
2) Place spinach in a medium skillet with 2 tablespoons of water over medium high heat. Cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and squeeze out excess moisture from the cooked spinach. Chop and set aside.
3) In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes, until tender. Stir in garlic, Dijon mustard and oregano, continuing to stir for 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour, cook for 1 minute while continuously stirring. Slowly whisk in milk, simmering over medium heat until thickened, stirring frequently for about 6-8 minutes. Stir in white cheddar, Feta, parsley, salt and pepper until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until slightly firm, about 4-5 minutes. Drain and stir into cheese sauce along with chopped spinach. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
5) For the crumble topping, in a small bowl, toss panko crumbs, melted butter, Feta and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle evenly over mac & cheese and bake for 25 minutes.