Coconut Rice Bowl with Ginger & Tofu Slaw Recipe
We can’t put down our chopsticks with this tasty number - with a delectable ginger peanut sauce, this Coconut Rice Bowl with Ginger and Tofu Slaw makes for a mouthwatering meal.
1½ cups Jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
1¾ cups coconut milk
1 cup water
½ tsp kosher salt
Ginger Peanut Sauce
½ cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup water
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
2 tsp Sriracha sauce
1 (19oz) package extra firm tofu
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 cups shredded napa cabbage
1½ cups shredded carrot
2 small red bell peppers, chopped
1 cup chopped, roasted cashews
¼ cup chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
Whole roasted cashews, for garnish
Black sesame seeds, for garnish
1) For the coconut rice, in a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, water and salt. Bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes covered. Set aside.
2) For the ginger peanut sauce, using a blender, combine peanut butter, water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ginger and Sriracha sauce. Blend until smooth, set aside.
3) To prepare the tofu, cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and lay on paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side to lightly sear the outside. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) In a large bowl, combine napa cabbage, carrots, red peppers, chopped cashews and parsley. Toss with ½ cup of ginger peanut sauce and cooked tofu.
5) To serve, place a large scoop of coconut rice in each serving bowl, drizzle with ginger peanut sauce, top with tofu slaw and garnish with whole cashews and sesame seeds. Drizzle each serving with sauce as desired.