How to: Easy ways to soak beans
THE TRADITIONAL WAY 1) Sort through the beans to remove any stones or debris.
2) With the beans in a colander, rinse them well with cold water, running your fingers through to reveal any more bits of dirt.
3) Transfer the beans to a large bowl filled with enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches. In hot weather, prevent the beans from fermenting by refrigerating while they soak.
4) Soak for 4-24 hours, until the beans have swelled to double their size.
5) Before cooking, drain the soaked beans and rinse once more before cooking the beans in fresh water.
THE QUICK-SOAK WAY 1) Rinse and pick over your beans for stones or debris.
2) Place beans in a pot and cover with 2-inches of water. Over high heat, bring to a boil, boil for 1 minute, remove from heat, cover pot and let sit for 1 hour.