COOKING TIPS – Artichokes 101
Okie, dokie, artichokie! We got down to business and simplified the art of preparing and cooking a globe artichoke. Find out how in our video!
1. Rinse artichokes under cold water and pat dry. Cut a lemon in half and have it ready to rub over any exposed areas to prevent the artichoke from browning.
2. Remove any leaves from the stem and cut the stem to 1 inch. Using a serrated knife, cut 1 inch off the top of the artichoke. Make sure to rub lemon over stem and cut off top to prevent browning.
3. Using scissors, remove thorny tips from the leaves.
4. Rinse artichoke under cold water once again, spreading apart leaves. Soak artichokes in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice while preparing remaining artichokes.
5. To steam artichokes, fill a medium pot with 1 inch of water and place a steamer basket in it. Bring water to a boil and reduce heat to low. Place artichokes in the steamer basket stem-end up. Cover and steam 40–50 minutes, depending on size.
6. The artichokes are done when you can easily pull an outer leaf. As well, the stem will be quite tender.
7. To serve, dip leaves in aioli, hollandaise sauce or a vinaigrette. To reach the artichoke heart, once finished with the outer leaves, cut off the fragile leaves in the center. Remove choke using a spoon and enjoy the artichoke heart.