How to Make Fast Pho
Love Vietnamese Noodle Soup? It's easy to make this delicious recipe at home. Watch as we show you how to make the best fast Pho.
Pho Vegetable Broth
9 cups vegetable broth
2 large celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
4 large shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 small garlic cloves, chopped
1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 cinnamon stick
1 dried bay leaf
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp anise seed
½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, including stems
1 lb dried rice noodles, medium width
1 cup firm tofu, patted dry and sliced into 3-inch long, ½-inch thick pieces
2 cups bean sprouts
2 cups shredded napa cabbage
6 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
1) In a large soup pot, bring vegetable broth, celery and carrots to a boil over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, anise seed and flat-leaf parsley. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
2) While the broth is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add noodles and cook 3 minutes. Drain and divide among 6 bowls.
3) For the tofu, heat a medium, non-stick skillet over high heat. Add tofu slices and cook 2 minutes, flip slices and cook 2 minute more, until golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
4) When the broth is ready, strain through a fine mesh sieve. Discard solids and return broth to pot, keeping hot until ready to serve.
5) To assemble, each bowl, arrange bean sprouts, napa cabbage and tofu over noodles. Ladle hot broth over top, sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with lime wedge.