EASY LUNCH RECIPE - Tomato Soup with 4 Topping Ideas
We have done the impossible and created a Creamy Yet Creamless Tomato Soup! To "top" it off, we're giving you 4 different topping ideas to dress up your soup. What can we say? We're overacheivers!
4 lbs Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise
4 cloves garlic, skin on
1 small white onion, peeled and quartered
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp butter
1) Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Place tomatoes (cut-side up), garlic and onions on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tomatoes, garlic and onions soften and begin to caramelize, about 35-40 minutes.
2) Remove from oven and squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin and into a large soup pot. Add tomatoes and onions. Stir in chicken broth, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3) Remove from heat, transfer soup to a blender or use a hand-held immersion blender. Blend until smooth. Return to soup pot, stir in butter and reheat slightly to serve. Serve with toppings of your choice.
THE 4 TOPPINGS
1. CHICKPEA CROUTONS
1¼ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp garlic powder
1) Preheat oven to 425ºF. Dry chickpeas well on paper towel. In a medium bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil, salt, oregano and garlic powder. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast 15 minutes.
2) Shake sheet and continue baking 5 minutes more, until golden. Best if used same day.
2. CHEESY CHEDDAR TOASTS:
8 (¼-inch thick) baguette slices
¾ cup grated sharp cheddar
1) Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted on both sides, 1-2 minutes total.
2) Top with cheese and broil until melted, about 20-30 seconds. Serve immediately.
3. GRILLED CHEESE ROLL-UP DIPPERS
8 slices white bread, crust removed
8 slices cheddar cheese
¼ cup butter
1) Using a rolling pin, gently roll bread to slightly flatten. Place sliced cheese on top and roll up.
2) Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add roll-ups, cook on all sides until golden. Serve immediately.
4. POLENTA CROUTONS
2 cups cubed polenta
2 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss polenta with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.
2) Shake pan and continue baking 8 minutes, until golden and crispy. Use same day as baking.