EASY APPETIZER RECIPE - Mini Comfort Foods 3 Ways
When we're entertaining guests, it's all about small bites and big flavour. No one wants to hold a plate while they're socializing, so we've created these 3 simple and delicious Itty Bitty Bites recipes for easy nibbles at your next eat and mingle.
1. S’MORES BITES
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 large marshmallows, cut in half
1) Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a mini 24-cup muffin tin. In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and brown sugar. Stir in butter until well combined. Distribute evenly between the muffin cups and press on the bottom and sides. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately divide chocolate in the bottom of each cup. Top chocolate with half a marshmallow, place under broiler just until the marshmallow is toasted, watching carefully so as not to burn. Let cool in pan slightly.
Makes 24 S’mores Bites
2. BAKED MASHED POTATO BITES
2 cups cold mashed potatoes (leftovers work great)
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp chopped scallions
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¼ cup flour
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tbsp olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, stir together mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, egg, scallions and salt and pepper to taste. Using 1 tablespoon of mashed potato mixture, roll into balls. Place flour in a small bowl. Whisk eggs in a second bowl and place breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Dip each potato ball in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet and drizzle balls with olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes, flip and bake 5 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Makes 30-32 potato balls
3. HASSELBACK BITES
1½ lbs mini red potatoes, washed
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp kosher salt
3 slices cheddar cheese, cut into small squares
Chopped fresh chives
1) Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Cut slits into each potato, about 3-4 slits per potato, making sure not to cut all the way through. Toss potatoes with olive oil and place on baking sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until potatoes are tender and golden on the outside. Remove from oven and place cheese squares between 3 or 4 of the slits. Return to oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Top with sour cream, bacon and chives. Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 25 mini potatoes