Apple Caramel Crumble Cake Recipe
When is a caramel apple a cake? When Chef Lisa gets her hands on it and creates an Apple Caramel Crumble Cake that's reminiscent of our fav childhood treat-on-a-stick. This incredible dessert is a three-layered moist and chunky apple cake, slathered in a creamy frosting and topped with a sugary crumble. How 'bout them apples?
Bite Me Bit
“I've never seen such a bunch of apple-eaters.”
-J.D. Salinger, Nine Stories
3¾ cups flour
1½ tsp baking soda
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
¾ tsp kosher salt
4½ cups peeled, diced Granny Smith apples
1and 1/8 cups vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2¼ cups flour
1¼ cups sugar
¾ cup butter
1 cup butter, room temperature
½ cup vegetable shortening
½ cup caramel ice cream topping
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
Caramel ice cream topping, for garnish
1) Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat 3 (8-inch round) cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
2) For the cake, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add diced apples and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk oil, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the sugar/egg mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, just until the flour disappears and all ingredients are combined. Pour batter into prepared baking pans and bake for 30 minutes, until golden on top and cooked through.
3) For the crumble, in a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Add butter and crumble in with your fingers until mixture looks like coarse meal. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350ºF oven for 15 minutes. Stir and continue to bake 10 minutes more, until crumble is golden. Set aside and let cool completely before using as garnish.
4) For the caramel frosting, using an electric mixer, cream butter and vegetable shortening until well combined. On low speed, add caramel ice cream topping, vanilla extract, icing sugar and milk. Mix to combine, increasing speed to medium until a smooth spreading consistency.
5) To assemble the cake, place one cake layer on a serving dish and top with ¾ cups of caramel frosting, spreading evenly over layer. Top with the second layer and use ¾ cup of frosting again. Place the third layer on and spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Garnish the top of the cake with the crumble and drizzle caramel sauce over top.