Mushroom & Feta Bread Pudding
This Mushroom & Feta Bread Pudding is a flavorful, herb and vegetable-packed side dish that deserves center stage – it's the perfect mix of fresh herbs, tender mushrooms, roasted red peppers, sweet egg bread and tangy Feta cheese.
Bite Me Bit
"If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools."
– Katherine Mansfield
3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp lemon zest
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
8 cups thinly sliced assorted mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, button, portobello)
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 egg breads (challahs), crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes, about 10 cups
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, for topping
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with non- stick cooking spray.
2) In a small bowl, combine parsley, oregano, thyme, lemon zest and garlic. Set aside.
3) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, salt and pepper. Sauté until soft and liquid has evaporated, about 12 minutes. Add half the parsley mixture and all the roasted red peppers stirring over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) In a large bowl, combine remaining parsley mixture, eggs, milk and 11/2 cups feta, stirring well to combine. Add mushroom mixture and bread cubes, stirring gently.
5) Transfer to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup feta cheese. Bake uncovered 40-45 minutes, until set and top is golden.