Bolognese-Smothered Parmesan Polenta Recipe
While we never tire of spaghetti (yes, we're carbaholics), we do like to change things up a bit, especially with this Parmesan Polenta. Topped with our homemade rich and robust Bolognese sauce, cheesy polenta never tasted so great!
Bite Me Bit
"A well made sauce will make an elephant or a grandfather palatable."
-Grimod de la Reyniere
5 cups water
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup milk
3 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms (you can use a variety of button, shiitake, cremini)
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
4 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 piece of Parmesan rind, 2-3 inches long (the rind is the outside edge on a chunk of fresh Parmesan)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
1) Coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a large pot, bring 5 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. The mixture should be thick and smooth.
2) Remove from heat, stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and spoon into prepared baking dish. Set aside.
1) For the sauce, in a large skillet, sauté ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Cook for 5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink. Drain in colander and return beef to skillet.
2) Add milk to skillet and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until milk is absorbed. Add mushrooms, carrot, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, until the onion is softened.
3) Add tomato sauce, red wine and Parmesan rind to the meat mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard Parmesan rind.
4) For serving, slice polenta into 6-8 servings and spoon Bolognese sauce over each portion. Finish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.