Mandarin Chinese Chicken Salad Recipe
Looking for the perfect meal-on-a-bowl? You've found it with this Soy Glazed Chinese Chicken Salad, a delicious combination of sweet-and-sticky baked chicken, juicy mandarin slices, crunchy carrots, water chestnuts and chow mein noodles, all tossed in a creamy Sesame Asian dressing. How's that for a forkful?
Bite Me Bit
"I may not know much, but I know the difference between chicken s#$t and chicken salad."
-Lyndon B. Johnson
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
Creamy Sesame Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
2 cups chow mein salad noodles
1 1/2 cups canned mandarin orange segments, drained
3/4 cup sliced water chestnuts, rinsed, drained and halved
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1) Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat an 11x7-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2) For the chicken, in a medium bowl, toss cubed chicken with 2 tbsp cornstarch.
3) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and stir until lightly browned (but not cooked through), about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to baking dish.
4) For the sauce, in a small bowl, whisk brown sugar, soy sauce, water, honey, cornstarch and ginger. Pour over chicken. Bake uncovered 18-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
5) For the salad dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk mayonnaise, rice vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and soy sauce. Chill until ready to use.
6) For the salad, spread shredded lettuce on a large platter. Add carrots, chow mein noodles, mandarins, water chestnuts and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Place soy chicken in center and drizzle entire salad with dressing.