Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
When does out-of-the-box thinking pay off? When it comes to this Macaroni and Cheese recipe, the easiest, cheesiest way to cook up the ultimate comfort food. To get the creamiest noodles, we melt everything together on the stove, transfer the cheesy mixture to a baking dish and finish it in the oven with a tasty golden cover of crunchy breadcrumbs.
Bite Me Bit
"He is the cheese to my macaroni."
-Juno MacGuff, 'Juno'
Creamy Macaroni & Cheese
2 large eggs
2¼ cups evaporated milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp hot sauce
1 lb elbow macaroni
4 tbsp butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
8 slices white bread, crusts removed
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp kosher salt
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, evaporated milk, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Set aside.
3) Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add macaroni and cook until pasta is tender. Drain pasta well and return to pot. Add butter over low heat to melt. Stir in egg mixture, cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese. Continue stirring until creamy, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
4) For the breadcrumb topping, pulse bread in food processor until coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, toss breadcrumbs with melted butter and salt. Evenly top macaroni with remaining cheddar cheese and buttered breadcrumbs.
5) Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes and then serve immediately.
Serves 6-8 as main course, 10-12 as side dish